I love pumpkin! No matter what time of year, there’s always at least one can of plain pumpkin puree in my pantry. It’s such a versatile vegetable (okay, technically it’s fruit from the gourd family), there’s no reason to relegate it to a minor role as a Halloween decoration or pie filling. Pumpkin takes really well to sweet and savory recipes. So this year, expand your culinary horizons and add some of these tempting pumpkin dishes to the menu. And if you have a favorite pumpkin recipe, let’s hear it.
1.Pumpkin Waffles. Pumpkin and maple syrup were made for each other, and the marriage comes together deliciously in this pumpkin waffle recipe from The Smitten Kitchen. The concept would work equally well in any pancake recipe, too.
2. Chipotle Pumpkin Soup. Pumpkin is native to North America and is a standard ingredient in Mexican cuisine. That makes it a natural for pairing with smoky chipotle peppers, cilantro and crema in this soul-satisfying soup from Simply Recipes.
3. Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal. Got a dab of left over pumpkin puree? Put it to good use in a steaming bowl of oatmeal laced with raisins, walnuts and pumpkin pie spices from Chocolate-Covered Katie’sHealthy Dessert Blog.
4. Pumpkin Potato Puree. Gourmet Magazine takes mashed potatoes to a new level of luscious with the addition of pumpkin puree, sage, nutmeg and Fontina cheese.
5. Pumpkin Ricotta Gnocchi. Warning, this dish from Simply Recipes is so easy to make and so satisfying, it could become your favorite comfort food,especially if you drizzle it with brown butter and sage.
6. Pumpkin Spice Smoothie. Put some pumpkin power and extra fiber in your next smoothie. Healthful Pursuit shows you how.
7. Pumpkin Ice Cream. There are hundreds of pumpkin ice cream recipes online. Try The Brown-Eyed Baker’s custard-based version or a simple, no-cook version from MyRecipes.com.
8. Sweet Pumpkin Dip. Libby (a major canner of pumpkin puree) concocted this simple dipping sauce that goes perfectly with ginger snaps or crisp slices of apple. Get the recipe at Very Best Baking.
9. White Bean and Sausage Stew in Pumpkin Bowls. An elegant presentation and no bowls to wash. I call that a winning combination! Get the Martha Stewart recipe at Yummly.
10. Pumpkin Risotto with Brown Butter and Sage. Have some whole pumpkin on hand? Use it in this delicious version of creamy risotto availableat The View from the Great Island.