I just read the National Association of Home Builders is predicting that about 641,000 new single family homes will be built in 2013. If you’re looking to buy a home this year, I hope you’ll choose one of those new homes instead of a re-sale. Here’s why.
- A new home is customizable. Even if you don’t build a custom home, you’ll have ample opportunity to personalize your new home, often from the ground up. You’ll have a chance to select optional floor plan layouts, adding rooms, patios or balconies, extra garage space, etc. You may also be able to select from a variety of exterior finishes. Pick the interior paint colors, flooring, carpeting, window covering, cabinetry, counter tops, appliances and more. With all the options and upgrades available, you can pretty much get exactly what you want faster than remodeling an older home.
- It’s under warranty. New homes are often covered by a builder’s warranty that will take care of any necessary repair work for a set period of time. Plus, many of the components like appliances can be covered for by extended warranties through the manufacturer. A re-sale home comes as is.
- There’s less maintenance. A brand new home isn’t going to need a new roof, new plumbing, new electrical wiring, new carpeting, fresh paint or anything else for a long time. You won’t have to pay somebody to saw down a dead tree or dig up an overgrown hedge, either.
- You’ll save on energy costs. Today’s new homes use energy-efficient materials and construction techniques. They’re well-insulated to keep you warmer in winter and cooler in summer. New homes often include energy-efficient appliances, too, like water heaters, refrigerators, washers and dryers, A/C systems and heating units. That means smaller utility bills.
- They’re wired for today’s technology. Your new home will be ready for cable and Internet. If you buy a Taylor Morrison Interactive Home, it will be wired for tomorrow’s technology, too, and you’ll be able to control your home with your smartphone or tablet.
- Easier financing. As is the case with Taylor Morrison, you can work with the builder’s preferred lender to make financing a seamless process. The loan consultant works directly with your sales person to bring your home to reality as smoothly as possible.
Considering all that and interest rates that remain attractively low, the new year is the perfect time to buy that brand new home. Start your happy house hunting here.