Wherever you live, whether you have a house in Austin, TX, live in sunny Florida, or are buying property for sale in Irvine, CA, now is a great time to have some backyard fun. All it takes is some unplugged diversion for both kids and adults.
For the Kids
- Make a skateboard swing – Forget about installing a swing set. Try this homemade swing that uses a skateboard and some ropes.
- Build a fort – Use this downloadable template to build a backyard fort complete with built-in seats and a peephole to scope out visitors.
- Create a giant lawn Twister game – Keep the kids happy while the grownups fire up the grill with a super-sized Twister game board spray-painted on the lawn.
- Give them a backyard chalkboard – Put a big chalkboard out back and let the kids have at it. Use a real chalkboard or you can make one yourself.
- Make a fairy garden together – Build a fanciful fairy garden and watch your child’s imagination come alive.
- Have an outdoor movie party – Invite friends over for a night at the movies in your backyard. Create an outdoor living room with seating, add some comfy blankets and serve popcorn.
- Build a beer and wine cooler table – Make it from scratch or modify an existing picnic table to include a center tray for ice and beverage bottles of your choice.
- Chill in a backyard hammock – Relaxing in a hammock never goes out of style. Try one of these one- and two-person hammocks
- Play lawn games – There are several lawn game possibilities, from Ladder Golf to Spikeball to traditional Badminton. All are perfect for a party.
- Have a classic barbecue – There’s a reason the traditional barbecue never gets old. Here’s how to put together the ultimate ‘cue.