You’ve moved into your new home and neighborhood, and you love them. But what about the neighbors? When we move many of us struggle to meet, much less get to know, people living around us. If this sounds like you, take heart, because there are plenty of ways to be neighborly, whether you just moved into a new home in Deland, FL or are living in Phoenix, AZ.
- Knock on your neighbors’ doors and introduce yourself. This is the most direct action you can take.
- Organize a block party. Summer presents the perfect opportunity. Have fun with the activities.
- Host a neighborhood BBQ. Invite your neighbors and ask them to bring a side dish or dessert.
- Organize a neighborhood yard sale and invite everyone on the block to participate.
- Put on an ice cream social. If you want to make your ice cream, Epicurious.com has some great recipes.
- Have a family-friendly neighborhood backyard movie night. Have chairs on hand or make it a BYOB (bring your own blanket) affair.
These are just a few ways to get to know and enjoy your new neighbors. For more ideas take a look at 12 Ways to Get to Know Your Neighbors.