Updated August 6, 2019
When you are moving to a new area, you’re probably wondering: “What schools are near me?” If you’re going to move to a Taylor Morrison community, you’re in luck. We do our homework and build where people want to live, and the schools are always a consideration. It’s important to know which schools are available, whether they’re public, private or charter.
If you’re moving to a new home in Austin, TX, for instance, you’re probably wondering things like “What the schools are like?”, “Will there be any schools near me?” and “What kind of school should I send the kids to?”. Let’s look at the schools close our new homes in Leander, TX, where our popular Crystal Falls and Travisso neighborhoods are located. Before you make your move, check out our article about the fears that go along with starting at a new school.
“Which Leander Public Schools Are Near Me?”
Public Schools: Public elementary, middle and high schools are supported by public funding and directed by the local school district, state department of education and United States Department of Education. Leander public schools are within the Leander Independent School District (LISD). LISD was recently recognized by the Greater Austin Chamber for it’s high rating for college readiness while a survey of students, parents and employees shows that the school schools in the district excel in supporting families.
C.C. Mason Elementary School
- 1501 N. Lakeline Blvd., Cedar Park, TX 78613 | Phone: 512-570-5500 | NCES Report
- C.C. Mason Elementary is an authorized International Baccalaureate® (IB) school. IB, once called International Baccalaureate Organization, was founded in Switzerland in 1968 to authorize primary, middle and high schools to use IB educational diploma and career-related programs. As an IB school, the C.C. Mason mission is to prepare students to be globally-minded citizens and leaders.
William J. Winkley Elementary
- 2100 Pow Wow, Leander, TX 78641 | Phone: 512-570-6700 | NCES Report
- The “Home of the Wolverines” serves PK-5th grade students and has an impressive 14.40 students per teacher ratio. The active Winkley PTA volunteers, which fundraises for the school, recently purchased and donated a running trail, five iPads for daily instruction, over $4,000 in library and classroom books, and more.
Running Brushy Middle School
- 2303 N. Lakeline Blvd., Cedar Park, TX 78613 | Phone: 512-570-3300 | NCES Report
- Running Brush Middle School is designated an Anti-Defamation League No Place for Hate® school, committed to keeping the school safe and nurturing a culture that values both students and teachers. Students and faculty get involved in programs like anti-drug Red Ribbon Week and the Kindness is Cool campaign.
Leander High School
- 3301 S. Bagdad Rd., Leander, TX 78641 | Phone: 512-570-1000 | NCES Report
- An International Baccalaureate (IB) school, a program that prepares students for global citizenship, promotes success through numerous programs. These included the College and Career Pathways department, Destination Imagination, College and Career Readiness, and Career and Technical Education.
Don’t see a school you’d like to learn about? Visit the Leander ISD website to find out more.
Consider These Near-Me Private Leander Schools
Private Schools: Private schools are independently-run schools usually funded through tuition. These include faith-based schools and Montessori programs.
Sterling Classical School (PK – 12)
- 11880 Old 2243 West , Leander, TX 78641 | Phone: 512-259-2722 | NCES Report
- Originated by families who had been homeschooling, Sterling Classical School is a Christian-based school. The school provides classical, independent and college-preparatory education, with parents actively involved. Students attend classes on campus two or three days a week with prepared lesson plans for at-home days. Students learn through grammar, logic and rhetoric with a goal to produce students who are well-rounded and confident speakers, writers and critical thinkers with leadership skills.
Summit Christian Academy (PK – 12)
- 2121 Cypress Creek Rd., Cedar, Park 78613 | Phone: 512-250-1369 | NCES Report
- This school provides a Christ-centered education that provides a STEM curriculum as well as a Christian and service foundation. Summit cultivates strong athletics and fine arts programs. Teachers are degreed, licensed, subject matter qualified, and experienced.
Cedar Park Montessori (18 months – 13 years)
- 400 E. Whitestone Blvd., Cedar Park, TX 78613 | Phone: 512-259-8495
- Cedar Park Montessori strive to instill curiosity, confidence and character along with academic excellence, creative expression and sensitivity to the environment. As a Montessori school, each child receives an education customized to the child’s specific needs and abilities, with tailored lessons and specialized materials. Classrooms are multi-age.
Hill Country Christian School of Austin (PK – 12)
- 12124 Ranch Road 620 N, Austin, Texas 78750 | Phone: 512-331-7036 | NCES Report
- This Christian-centered school was voted “Favorite Private School” in Austin Family Magazine. All subjects are taught from a Christian biblical perspective. The classical approach focuses on the liberal arts and a college-prep curriculum. As of September 2018, there were 570 students enrolled.
Harbor Leadership Academy (2 – 12)
- 17317 RM 1431, Leander, Texas, 78641 | Phone: 512-219-5673 | NCES Report
- Harbor Leadership Academy provides a higher level of individual attention than in traditional settings, with a low teacher-to-pupil ratio. Education is personalized and specialized for students that need a highly structured learning context, including students with mild to moderate learning disabilities, dyslexia, and attention deficit disorder with or without hyperactivity.
Find A Great Charter School Near Leander
Charter Schools: Charter schools, which are tuition-free public schools, specialize in offering learning options not always available in regular public schools. They are established by parents, teachers or community organizations under a charter with a local or national authority.
Founders Classical Academy (K – 8)
- 1303 Leander Dr., Leander, TX 78641 | Phone: 512-259-0103
- This school’s mission is to provide a classical education in the liberal arts and sciences while nurturing good character and civic virtue. The Founders Classical Academy website states that they school does things “the hard way,” using “old-fashioned” techniques so students can have true knowledge and understanding rather than just appearing to.
Leander Charter Academy (PK – 12)
- 201 Buttercup Creek Blvd., Cedar Park, Tx 78613 | Phone: 512-259-2577
- Leander Charter School is a non-traditional school that provides an innovative and discipline learning experience and environment where students can self-advance. Teachers work one-on-one with students and are sensitive to each student’s inherent learning style.
Harmony School of Public Political Science & Communications (K – 12)
- 13415 Ranch Road 620 N, Austin, TX 78717 | Phone: 512-284-9880
- As part of the Harmony Public School system, Harmony School of Public Political
Science & Communications strongly emphasizes science, technology, engineering and math. The school offers a Gifted & Talented program as well as Special Programs for students with disabilities to help them gain readiness for college and career, and to learn independent living skills.
The Big Idea: Tips for Parenting School-Age Kids
Education is key to your children’s growth and preparation for the future. Have fun nurturing through school by reading our articles about simple things like:
- Lunch ideas for the youngsters
- Creating engaging study stations
- Making back to school fun
- Tips for visiting college campuses
Leander Schools Conclusion
Get to know the schools your children can attend in your new community, and then decide which ones might be the best fit for both students and parents. Going to school is an exciting time, so make the most of it, whether your little one is entering Kindergarten or preparing to go away for college or career.