Without moms, caregivers or grandmas for that matter, none of us would be here. That calls for a bit of gift-giving proactivity and creativity. We turned to our favorite blogger and Taylor Morrison Arizona home owner, Stephanie of Somewhat Simple. If you follow her (and you can at SomewhatSimple.com and across social media with hashtags #SomewhatSimpleHome and #SSBuildsWithTM ), you know that Stephanie is a master curator of clever do-it-yourself ideas. But she’s also good at finding unique places where the less crafty among us can buy fun and thoughtful gifts for mom. We’ve assembled several of her best blogs just in time for Mother’s Day. Start browsing for heart-felt ideas that honor the first ladies in your life.
Gifts to Buy
Count down to the special day with Stephanie’s Top 10 gift ideas for moms. Some can even be personalized (jewelry with the names of kids or grandkids).
Make It and Make It Special
If you’re a crafter, chances are you already have most of the materials needed to make at least one of these 25 DIY gifts. Several ideas are simple enough for kids to do. Besides, the cool thing about moms and homemade gifts is that they don’t have to be perfect to make her smile. Paint colorful designs on wooden hangers or a dollar-store frame. Decorate an apron with family handprints. Wrap washi tape around the handles of a set of wooden spoons. Build a bird house or just gussy up one from the craft store.
- Breakfast in bed and Mother’s Day go together like hugs and kisses…which you’ll get a bunch of when you serve it hotel-style with room service printables. You’ll also find three classic recipe links that are sure to please.
- No time to bake a three-layer cake? No worries. Even store-bought cupcakes can get a custom spin with these sweet berry-themed printables, courtesy of Stephanie and Give Bakery Because.
- Who doesn’t love Eggs Benedict? Who wants to stand over a stove for 40 minutes hoping the Hollandaise doesn’t break? Yes, you could try to get a last-minute reservation to a posh Mother’s Day Brunch (good luck with that). Or you could fake it with this easy blender Hollandaise recipe. It’s fool-proof and tastes just like you did it ala Julia Childs with a hand whisk. Make it even easier by poaching your eggs first and holding them in reserve in a bowl of room-temp water till everything else is ready. Pour on the hot Hollandaise and voila!
- What’s Mother’s Day without flowers? Sure, you can run over to the supermarket and grab a bouquet. Or you can melt Mom’s heart with this adorable idea. Printable paper posies personalized with family pictures and planted in a mason jar filled with candies. There are also printable labels to complete the package. Long after the bloom is off those store-bought roses, these will live on in her memory.
Give Mom a Getaway
- Any gift will make mom say “aw.” Here’s one that will make her say “ahhhhhh.” A relaxation kit filled with stress-busting goodies. Bath salts, luxe face cream, a loofa, the latest issue of her favorite magazine, a scented candle, body lotion. Really, anything that can turn a soak in the tub into a pretend trip to the spa and fit in a nice basket will work.
- Or you could really splurge with a surprise vacation. How big a splurge will depend on how many of your adult siblings want to kick in. Buy the tickets, then make the gift extra special with colorful printable luggage tags, itinerary maps and boarding passes.
If you’ve ever waited till Sunday morning to buy a Mother’s Day card, you know that the pickings are slim. Unless you really want to spend $8 on a musical card with dogs barking “Mama Mia,” here’s a better (and free) idea. Download Stephanie’s printable Mother’s Day cards and let the kids color them. Trust us, she’ll like this way more than the barking dogs.
First Mother’s Day Gifts
Celebrate a new mother’s very first Mother’s Day with one (or more) of these great gifts for baby. You may also want to buy the flowers, candy and a special card that says she’s still the love of your life, too.
Need More Inspiration?
Still stumped? Check out these past posts to Second House on the Right.
- Things to Do on Mother’s Day. Find fun family events and nature hikes in your neck of the woods, top places to dine out, chores you can do to lighten mom’s load and a few ideas for last-minute gifts to make.
- Wow Mom with suggestions you might not ordinarily think of like a day at the ballpark watching a major league game or a special outing for her and her BFFs.
- More Gift Ideas for Mother’s Day. Candy is dandy, but take it to a more creative level with customized M&Ms or a selection of retro sweets from websites specializing in vintage penny candies.
- Does your mom just love touring model homes? We’ve got plenty of them at Taylor Morrison locations throughout America.
- It’s a little hard to wrap, but nothing says “thanks, Mom” like a brand-new home. We can help you find the perfect new home near you.
The Best Gift Ever
We’ve saved the most precious gift for last. Ask your mother, grandmother, aunt or any woman who’s filled a special place in your life what she wants most of all. They’ll all say the same thing: time with you. So, take some of yours and give it away. It’s the very best gift you can ever give.